Types of Membership
- REALTOR® membership is available to licensed real estate brokers and appraisers in the state of Tennessee and the surrounding, contiguous, states.
- Affiliate membership is available to companies whose primary business function relates to the real estate industry. Companies in this category are title companies, mortgage brokers, home inspectors, pest control, etc.
How to Apply
Requirements for REALTOR® Membership
- Applicants for REALTOR® membership must agree to abide by the Code of Ethics and Bylaws of SMTAR.
- The applicant must fall into one of the following categories to hold membership in SMTAR:
- Must be principle broker of their firm, OR
- Their principle broker holds membership in SMTAR (or intends to join), OR
- Must belong to a franchise and at least one principle broker in any of the franchise firms holds membership in SMTAR, OR
- Must be a principle Appraiser of an appraisal firm, or a licensed appraiser in a firm that already holds membership
- Once approved, REALTORS® must complete (or provide proof of completion) of at least 2.5 hours of instruction on the REALTOR® Code of Ethics within 60 days of their approval date. Previously, members have been required to complete this training during specific 4-year cycles. The current cycle, however, ends in December 2016 and NAR will begin a new policy. Members will be required to complete this training in 2-year cycles beginning January 1, 2017. Click here for more info on this requirement.
Requirements for Affiliate Membership
- Applicants for Affiliate membership must provide a service used in the real estate industry.
- Please note: Affiliate members do not qualify for full access to the Multiple Listing Service. Some affiliates do qualify for a Sentricard at an additional cost.